Quiche: mushroom & asparagus
Ingredients for four mushroom asparagus quiche:
1. 4 deep dish baking tins–use your own dough or go easy on yourself and buy frozen Marie Callender’s
2. sauteed mushrooms, onions, whole garlic cloves, bacon
3. steamed asparagus (trimmed short and cut up into pieces)
4. 4 cups of milk plus some heavy dream, if desired
5. 8 eggs
6. variety of your choice of mixed cheeses: cheddar, mozzarella, parmigiano, Colby-jack, Swiss, and/or others
7. crushed black pepper, smoked paprika, if desired
Bake the crust for ten minutes in a hot oven and cool.
Fill the bottom with: mushrooms, onions, bacon, and asparagus pieces. Remove garlic cloves.
Cover with cheese–be generous!
Beat two eggs into one cup of milk (and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream) pour this mixture over the filled crusts
Grind some coarse black pepper on top, also some paprika
Place in a hot over (400 degrees), lower to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes or so
Things you may want to do:
Chop bacon and fry, then add chopped or sliced onions–set aside.
Saute mushrooms in the leftover fat from bacon
If more fat is needed, add some olive oil or butter or both–your choice.
Use a hit of white wine after the saute stage and let this dry out over an intense flame.
Use salt if you must, but you don’t really need it if you have used enough cheeses!
Of course you can change the ingredients. Leave out the asparagus, or make with different veggies–zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower– all make lovely quiches.
Chuck the bacon and use ham, or do it the meatless way.